The Encore Physicians Program
The Encore Physicians program matches retired physicians to rewarding clinical roles treating underserved populations in Community Health Centers in the greater Bay Area. The physicians receive compensation for providing direct patient care and mentoring less experienced clinicians for up to two days per week for one year.
"I was finding a lot of things to do and keeping very busy, but nothing that was quite as fulfilling or as productive as when I was seeing patients."
- DR. NAOMI THORPE,
"The Encore Physician Program is a wonderful idea, and it’s increased our ability to treat patients that need care."
- DR. CHARLES SOM
"I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the practice of medicine as much as I do now."
- DR. ETHAN DANIELS
"I would recommend anybody who has the interest and the motivation to look into Encore Physicians positions."
- DR. BARBARA BOYLAN
"Being an Encore Physician has allowed me to keep my hand in medicine, teach (which I love) and to provide much needed services to an underserved community."
- DR. JIMMY MCLEAN
"Both of my parents were in internment camps during WWII. I know what it feels like to be first generation and trying to settle into American culture."
- DR. ALERIC AKASHI
How the Encore Physicians Program Works
- Physicians provide direct patient care and mentor less experienced clinicians, receiving a health center physician rate to work up to two days per week for one year.
- Any licensed retired physician interested in a clinical role is eligible to apply.
- Encore program matches physicians with health centers based on expertise and need.
- Health centers provide credentialing, develop work terms, pay physicians, arrange malpractice insurance and help with onboarding.
- Program is currently available in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Sonoma and Santa Clara counties with plans to expand to San Francisco and possibly beyond.
In the Media
Hear Encore Physicians Program director Dr. Mike Rizzo interviewed by Liz Boehm on the Caring Greatly Podcast.
The Encore Physicians Program is committed to providing an excellent experience for both physicians and health centers through a robust matching process, ongoing program support, communication and constructive evaluation.
Encore.org works with Federally Qualified Health Centers throughout the greater Bay Area. The project is supported by Kaiser Permanente Northern California Community Benefit Programs.