The 15 semifinalists for The Encore Prize: Generation to Generation Challenge all presented great ideas for bringing people over 50 into the lives of young people who need champions.
With help from more than 12,000 voters — if you’re one, thank you! — Encore.org today announced the contest’s five finalists. Read about them here.
Next up: At a live-pitch event in Boston on Oct. 16, two will win $50,000 each. All 15 will receive continued coaching and enthusiastic support from Encore.org.
The winners will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Encore Fit – venture utilizes encore talent in well-designed roles that have potential to be used widely to address the social problem. Venture demonstrates the potential and desire to become leaders of the encore movement, demonstrating the power of encore talent.
- Innovation – venture consists of a new approach or a critical improvement to an existing model.
- Organizational/applicant strength – organization/applicant demonstrates ability to carry out project successfully. Good track record or clear support from other organizations/partners. Understands team assets and gaps.
- Scalability/Replicability – venture has capacity to grow to produce significant social change.
- Financial Model – venture has a clear plan for financial sustainability utilizing diverse and repeatable streams of revenue such as earned income, and public and private funding.
- Diversity – ability to engage people and organizations representing diverse communities, particularly those in which children and youth are at particularly high risk, for example high levels of gun violence or families being separated due to immigration status.
Judges and Prizes
Once voters have selected five finalists, a distinguished panel of judges — including Soledad O’Brien, broadcast journalist and co-founder of the PowHERful Foundation; Chip Conley, author and founder of Joie de Vivre Hospitality; Obie Mckensie, managing director at Blackrock; and Doug Rauch, former president of Trader Joe’s — will select one of the $50,000 winners. The other $50,000 winner will be chosen by his or her fellow competitors.
Applications for the 2017 Encore Prize are now closed
For more details on the prize process and what will be required of applicants for future challenges, please take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.
For more on the Generation to Generation campaign, go to iamgen2gen.org. To be notified about this year’s finalists or about future cycles of The Encore Prize, or to receive news from Encore.org and the Generation to Generation campaign, complete the form below.