Note: This is a contract role.
The Encore Physician Program matches retired physicians to part-time clinical positions in community health centers. The project is currently supported by Kaiser Permanente Northern California Community Benefits Program, and directed by Encore.org
This pilot project, started in 2018, explored whether retiree physicians could be a pool of talent to alleviate staffing shortages at community health centers, thereby increasing underserved low- income populations’ access to primary care and specialists. By harnessing the skills and experience of mature, experienced physicians, the goal was to help address skills shortages by providing direct patient care and mentoring younger clinicians.
The pilot project to date has matched 10 retired physicians to paid part-time positions for one year at 6 community health centers in Alameda, Contra Costa and North Bay Counties. Initial evaluation of the program by health centers and by Encore Physicians has been extremely positive. We now have the funding for expansion and support of placements in South Bay community health centers for 2020. This year will be an opportunity to test the model for expansion as well as develop and test a sustainable business model to support the continuation and future expansion of the program.
The pilot program is overseen by a steering committee composed of Kaiser Permanente, representatives of local Community Health Consortia and the California Health Care Foundation
The Position: Encore Physician Program Regional Director, South Bay. South Bay Regional Director will work closely with and report to the Encore Physicians Program Director. She/he will be responsible for community outreach in the South Bay, including identifying and recruiting retired physicians and community health centers that would participate in this program. The Regional Director will also provide program management as well as ongoing feedback and recommendations on the model moving forward. This will be a part-time (10-20 hours per week) contractor role for a period of 12 months from January 2020 to December 2020 and possibly beyond. The Regional Director will receive a modest remuneration.
Key Responsibilities Work with targeted health clinics to engage them in the program, develop needed position descriptions, and recruit and match physician candidates with these host clinics. As the program develops, the regional director will follow the matches and support clinic/physician relationships.
Specific duties include:
- Marketing and outreach to educate health centers about the program including presentations via the local county health center consortium or through other means.
- Site visits to interested health centers to identify the positions and requirements. Support to health centers to ensure the appropriate job descriptions and other materials are in place.
- Marketing and outreach to recruit retired physicians including (but not limited to) attendance at meetings of The Permanente Medical Group retirees groups, connections with the local medical associations and other local health organizations.
- Create necessary marketing materials (presentations, newsletter articles, website updates, etc) in coordination with the Encore Physicians Program Director.
- Screen interested retired physicians to ensure alignment with program goals and ability to meet the needs of the health center and the population served.
- Regular calls to participating health centers and matched physicians.
- Support for program evaluation including sending surveys to physicians and health center, regular meetings with evaluators, and coordination with health centers and placed physicians.
- Coordination of newly placed retired physicians for regularly scheduled program-wide orientations.
- Participation in regular Encore Physicians Program meetings including project team meetings and Steering Committee meetings and funder meetings as needed.
- Ongoing tracking and maintaining relationships with interested retired physicians.
- All program administration including scheduling, tracking and documentation.
About you: You’re a self-starter with experience in managing programs and ideally a background in the health care sector. You’re a natural people person and you thrive on making connections and building relationships. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude and can juggle many important responsibilities at once. You are flexible and willing to work in a “start up” environment with program development and real-time adjustments.
- MD/DO degree prefered.
- Demonstrated success in achieving/exceeding program outcomes.
- Excellent relationship management skills; ability to interact effectively and professionally with a broad range of stakeholders (internal and external) and funders.
- Outstanding project management skills and ability to track and manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in working with diverse populations and well-developed cross-cultural communication skills.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter describing your interest, qualifications and salary expectations to [email protected]. Use the subject line “LastName Encore Physicians Reg Dir” (e.g., “Hamilton Encore Physicians Reg Dir”) in your email. Also title your attachment “LastName Encore Physicians Reg Dir.” Applications that do not follow this format may not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
To learn more please go to the Encore Physicians Website https://encore.org/encore-physicians-program/
Encore.org is a national nonprofit, building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world. Originally called Civic Ventures, Encore.org was founded in 1998 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman and grew out of a desire to transform the aging of America—one of the most significant demographic shifts of the 21st century—into a powerful, positive source of individual and social renewal. Our ultimate goal is to create a better future for young people and future generations.
Encore Fellowships, one of Encore.org’s signature programs, brings new sources of talent to social purpose organizations by matching skilled, seasoned professionals to high impact, paid, transitional assignments. Since 2009, more than 2,000 Encore Fellow professionals have built capacity in the social sector.
It is Encore.org’s policy to employ, compensate and advance personnel without regard to race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, arrest record and any other characteristic protected by law. We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply and to tell us how your service experience has shaped your career.