Encore.org is a national nonprofit building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world. Originally called Civic Ventures, Encore.org was founded in 1998 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman and grew out of a desire to transform the aging of America—one of the most significant demographic shifts of the 21st century—into a powerful, positive source of individual and social renewal. Our ultimate goal is to create a better future for young people and future generations.
Encore.org’s Generation to Generation (Gen2Gen) Campaign
Generation to Generation is a five-year campaign, powered by Encore.org, to mobilize a million adults 50+ to dedicate their time, talent and experience to help children thrive.
While the United States is among the world’s richest countries, millions of children in this country live in poverty and lack the resources and support they need to live fulfilling, successful lives. Reversing this trend must become a national priority—and a key resource for this effort is hidden in plain sight: The millions of Americans moving into their 50s and beyond who want to leave a positive legacy for future generations. Encore’s latest research indicates that 29 percent of adults 50+ are very/extremely interested in participating in the campaign, translating to a receptive target audience in excess of 30 million people.
These two groups—children in need of supportive adult relationships and adults with the time and inclination to fill those roles—fit together like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The campaign will bring them together through three complementary strategies:
- We’ll mobilize the million.
- We’ll build a cross-sector network of organizations, to help us mobilize the million, and to serve as thought partners in identifying and solving the big obstacles that stand in our way.
- We’ll change the narrative around aging in this country, so that service to children and youth is embraced as a compelling—and highly accessible—pathway for adults 50+.
The Position: Digital Engagement Manager
This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications, and is a full-time, exempt position. He or she will be responsible for implementing the online engagement strategy to meet the campaign goals of engaging adults 50+ to take meaningful action to help children thrive. The Digital Engagement Manager will work across internal teams including communications, partnerships, and IT as well as the campaign leadership.
The Digital Engagement Manager will launch year-round campaign actions, primarily through email, social media, and website channels, that provide an outlet for audiences to deepen their commitment to the campaign, support recruitment of new people into the campaign, and build momentum for culture change in support of the campaign vision.
- Develop and implement a ladder of engagement, beginning with conversion tactics that lead to a range of strategies to significantly grow the number of campaign constituents (in particular people 50+), deepen their engagement over time, and mobilize offline participation in campaign.
- Develop approaches to engage new and diverse audiences on important issues through creative campaign concepts and content that are underpinned by sophisticated strategic and analytical thinking.
- Lead campaign email execution, including developing content, graphics, and landing pages.
- Translate relevant current events, media attention, etc., into timely and engaging campaign engagement actions.
- Support the communications team in development of a robust social media strategy.
- Design and run experiments to test mobilization tactics (e.g., A/B email subject line tests), track and monitor metrics, share data-driven results and engage in continuous program improvement.
- Lead ongoing website refinements and additions based on overall digital engagement strategy.
You’re passionate about the aims of the campaign. You’re a tech-savvy community organizer (or have the chops to become one). You’re eager to help people tap into their sense of passion and purpose and channel it into action. You are a great listener and writer, and you have a quick wit to distill complex issues and stories to their essence. You have the ability to switch gears rapidly and are a team player.
- Experience implementing digital campaigns (e.g., political advocacy, electoral, community organizing, media, etc.) that mobilize people and make change in the world.
- Proven ability to develop and deploy diverse tactics that move people to action.
- Demonstrable strong strategic thinking and campaign planning skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills for diverse audiences, especially for email engagement.
- Knowledge of best practices in online engagement strategy, from creative content to influencer engagement.
- Experience developing and using metrics to measure the success of a campaign and improve/refine it over time.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high-energy; demonstrated negotiation, mediation and listening skills; a good sense of humor; and experience building strong professional relationships with diverse colleagues.
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions, knowing when to take the initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions, managing complex situations with discretion and tact, and prioritizing and completing tasks in a skillful and timely fashion.
- Strong project-management skills, including being detail-oriented and managing toward aggressive timelines.
- Working knowledge of (or ability to quickly learn) Blue State Digital Tools, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPress, Webex, Salesforce, and familiarity with online collaboration tools (e.g., Google Docs, Google Hangout, Box).
- Willingness to travel domestically once a quarter.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and minimum five years of professional experience.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume in Word or PDF format, a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and a digital content sample (if available), by February 3, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please respond to these two questions in your cover letter:
- What excites you about the Gen2Gen campaign?
- What excites you about the role of Digital Engagement Manager, and what specific expertise and experiences will you draw on to do the job?
Please note: Cover letters will be judged as writing samples; no application will be considered without a cover letter. Please send your resume and letter as one document to [email protected] Name your attachment with the format: “LastName Gen2Gen DEM 2017 Application” (e.g., “Hamilton Gen2Gen DEM 2017 Application”). Applications that do not follow this format may not be reviewed.
It is Encore.org’s policy to employ, compensate and advance personnel without regard to race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, arrest record and any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply and to tell us how your service experience has shaped your career.
We are seeking to develop a multigenerational and diverse team. Qualified people of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Open until filled.
A Note on Encore.org’s Culture
Our staff members are part of a social movement that challenges old norms and seeks to establish a new definition of success in later life. We are a small, geographically distributed team, committed to making a significant impact. We attract people who think about how small investments can yield big results in the service of Encore.org’s mission.
We work hard, and we value our colleagues and the causes we dedicate time to outside of working hours. We understand the importance of commitments—family and otherwise—beyond Encore.org. Vacation time is meant to be used.
As an organization focused on deploying human talent in innovative ways, we try to walk the talk. We strive to have an intergenerational team. We also encourage and sometimes require flexible work; results matter more than face time. Many Encore.org positions require some or a great deal of travel; all require the use and mastery of a growing array of virtual tools.
Perhaps most important, Encore.org is in a period of transition and growth. We work in a dynamic environment that values mutual respect, rapid response to changing conditions or new opportunities, flexibility and intelligence, as well as a sense of humor and humility. Those who thrive tend to be creative, entrepreneurial types who are dedicated to our mission and who know how to execute ambitious plans in a lean environment.